Are you sick of watching endless videos where people are good at things? Then I have something fun for you! Watch as I begin my journey to learn how to decorate cakes. In this episode, I try to create my first icing rose.
In the video, I joke that comments should be directed to Emmy Made in Japan. Her videos are awesome. If you like my videos, you will love hers.
I also welcome constructive feedback on how I can improve my technique. I’m pretty sure that I’m using the wrong petal tip (I’ll talk about that in my follow-up video in a few days), and I think that my icing needed to be chilled a bit more. It was a warm day, and my icing was straight out of the room temperature tub.
After a longer than short hiatus, I present my review of Spread That, a butter knife that heats up using the heat from the user’s hand. This is the final video at my old apartment, and now that I have finished my PhD and I’m all settled in at the new place, I’ll be able to post more regularly!
In this video, I’m putting a spin on something I saw on Epicurious. I’m making a puffle stromboli. A puffle is a waffle made with puff pastry that can be filled with all sorts of goodness. In this case, I’m putting cheese, pepperoni, and sautéed vegetables to make a sort of puffle stromboli. I realize that it’s somewhat sacrilegious to call this a stromboli, but it is the only way I can think of to describe it. I hope you’ll forgive me.
In this video, I use some interesting techniques that I got from the Home and Gardens website to make some very pretty dyed eggs. The first technique is to swirl rubber cement on the eggs before dyeing. The second technique is supposed to give a tie-dye look to the egg. And the third technique gives a cool speckled/splattered look to the eggs. To prepare my dye, I used 1 cup of boiling water, two tablespoons of white vinegar, and about 40 drops of food coloring. For the third technique, I added 1 tablespoon of oil to the dye bath and swirled the oil around before I put the egg in.
There was a little mishap with the pink egg that I put the rubber cement on. I was having some trouble getting the salty rubber cement off the egg, so I tried to rinse it off. Unfortunately, that also rinsed off some of the dye. I put it back in the dye bath, so it would be a little more blue. I think it turned out kind of neat, but it doesn’t really show off the rubber cement technique very well any more.